Basketball Birthday Party Ideas
Invite your child’s friends to have a ball at their basketball theme birthday party! This is the perfect theme for the sports lover in your household, and we are sharing our tips and ideas for how to pull the entire look together, including snack ideas, activities and favor suggestions.
Basketball Party Decorations
When choosing your party décor, focus on a few key elements that offer big impact. We chose this large basketball cardboard standee as our backdrop, as it offers coverage for a 6-8’ banquet table at an affordable price, and requires no DIY. This type of table backdrop is also ideal when setting up in a venue that offers limited set-up time, as it can be assembled and in place in just a few moments. To offset the black coloring of the backdrop, we chose a white pleated table skirt for our linen, and then draped a simple basketball pennant banner across the front using straight pins at either side to adhere.
Once you have selected your bigger décor items, begin working to choose food and beverage items, as this will dictate the serving pieces and personalized items needed to pull the look together.
Basketball Food & Beverage Options
To keep party costs in check, I often suggest that hosts offer 2-3 snack options in addition to the dessert(s) they select. Whenever possible, I choose fun foods that coordinate with the theme, and create fun personalized food labels.
These are some of my favorite snack and beverage options for a basketball party:
- "March Madness Munch"- Mix together popcorn, mini pretzels and orange chocolate candies for a simple, sweet and savory snack. As a serving suggestion, package in individual cellophane bags with personalized labels, in a large bowl with a plastic scoop, or display within individual cups on a tiered serving stand.
- "Free Throws"- Cheese balls are an ideal basketball party snack! We displayed ours in these fun basketball favor bags with personalized toppers.
- Sports Drinks- Personalize sports beverage bottles with sticker wrappers for a fun, theme-relevant drink.
- Water Break"- Offer ice cold water in a large beverage server along with basketball paper cups and a personalized sticker label.
For our basketball party, we opted to serve a simple green and white cake with orange piping, and store-bought cupcakes dressed up in personalized wrappers with ring toppers. Desserts were served on fun, basketball paper plates.
Basketball Party Activities
Choose 2-4 party activities to engage guests during the party. For a basketball party, here are some of my favorite activity suggestions:
- Open Play- Set up a regulation basketball hoop at your home, host your party at a gym, or locate a park that offers access to a basketball court. Then, set out a handful of basketballs for a simple, yet entertaining activity.
- Free Throw Contest- Offer prizes to the player who can make the most in a row, greatest number in a time period, etc.
- Basketball Pinata- Fill a basketball piñata with a variety of goodies and let the guest go wild attempting to break it open with a piñata stick.
- Photo Booth with Props- Create a photo opportunity using a personalized backdrop and then select a handful of photo props such as foam fingers, fan faces or clappers to allow the kids to be silly, while capturing photo memories.
- Set up an Autograph Station- Choose one basketball and encourage guests to write a message with a permanent marker as a keepsake for the birthday boy or girl.
Basketball Party Favor Ideas
Whenever selecting party favors, I consider the age of the attendees, overall budget and theme. My favorite party favors are items that the kids can use again and again following the party. Here are some of my favorite basketball party ideas:
- Regulation Size Basketballs- Display the basketballs in a large container, toy bin, or basket with a fun "I Hope You Had a Ball" sign for a simple, theme-relevant display.
- Basketball Tote Bags- These could be displayed over the chair backs at a seated table, hanging on hooks, or lying flat in an organized fashion on a small favor table for guests to pick up as they depart.
- Basketball Sugar Cookies
With all these ideas, we hope you are ready to score big at your upcoming basketball birthday party!